Information and advice

Do you have questions about your lease, are you unhappy in your dormitory or are you in trouble with your landlord? Do you want to know how much commission and deposit can be charged when moving, do you want to register a second home or start a shared apartment (WG)? You can find important legal information and practical tips in our brochure Studying and Living, which you can download and read online or order for free at the ÖH-Shop.

If you have any questions regarding rent and housing, please contact the social department at your university under ÖH Map or the housing counseling of the federal representation of the Austrian National Union of Students (ÖH). You are also welcome to email us with your question at If you have specific questions about living in the residence halls, you can also contact our student-dormitory affairs case worker.

Are you facing the threat of losing your home or are you struggling with excessive energy costs? The “housing umbrella” can, for example, take over your rent debts, support you financially when you move or pay energy bills. Here you get more info and free advice:

Room search

If you are currently looking for an apartment or a room, or if you want to post an ad yourself, we recommend the ÖH schwarzesbrett: Schwarze Brett.

A list of many non-profit student residences in Austria can be found here: List of non-profit student residences in Austria. Furthermore, we would like to refer to the